Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Wasp Nest, Anyone?

Early on in the project we were cleaning out the crawl space. Allow me to rephrase... my brother was cleaning out the crawl space. That would be a giant "HELL NO!" for me to get up in there. We knew there was a bit of a wasp problem but not one we were too concerned about at the time. That is, until my brother got to the back of the crawl space. OMG!! This is what he found.


Thank goodness, it was winter and all the wasps seemed to be sleeping.

I have never in my life could have imagined a wasp nest this size. Brother Bob finally released it's hold on our floor joists and he slipped it in a garbage bag, just in case!





Once we got it outside, we were able to take a closer look. It was an amazing sight to behold.
Bigger than a basketball. more like a nice sized beach ball. It had a feathery texture, in somewhat of a "scale like" pattern. Colors of gray, gold, white all swirled together. It was quite beautiful.
We had left it in the garbage bag behind the shed. I was trying to think what we should do with it. Next thing we knew, it was gone. Not sure what happened to it. Wish I had taken more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment